This is the only baby shower i have ever done. It was for my very good friend, Donna. It was a total hit! I love black, white and pink as a color palette. And i love to go outside the traditional.
First i created an Oh Baby SIGN for the event.
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
4'x8' 1/4" plywood
White semi-gloss latex paint
Metallic silver spray paint
Silver sprinkle glitter
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Hot pink feather boa
1. With Microsoft Publisher (although other programs can also work) , i first printed each individual letter in the Curlz font on 8.5 x11 paper. This program allows you to tile. So basically, some of the letters extended over the page dimensions. Print the top and bottom or left and right of the letter depending on how it is sized. Then, cut the edges so they overlap, then tape together - creating the letter in full. Once you have all the letters, then simply cut each one down to its perfect edges.
2. Place the letters on top of your plywood. Try to only use half of the sheet of plywood, as you will need the other half for the backer. It's best to tape the paper letters down with scotch tape so you don't lose your setting. Trace the letters onto plywood with Sharpie. Then cut each individual letter using a jigsaw.
3. Once you have all the letters cut into wood, place them on the other half of the plywood in the way you want them finally set. Then freehand trace the outer frame. Remove letters, cut plywood to shape.
4. Take a mouse sander and sand all edges of letters and backer board.
5. Paint backer shape with White semi-gloss latex paint. (2 coats). Paint letters with Silver Metallic Spray paint. (1 coat should do). Make sure to always paint edges. The spray paint will dry faster, so while backer board 2nd coat is drying, start glittering.
6. Spray adhesive the front and sides of letters. Only do one letter at a time as the spray adhesive dries very quickly. Infact, sometimes, depending on the size of the letter, only spray half of the letter. Immediately sprinkle glitter evenly. Let each letter dry about 10 minutes. Pick up each letter and gently hit the bottom edge to your work table to let the loose glitter off. Repeat the glitter process. You want the letters to be fully covered. 1 coat will not do.
7. Once all is dry and glittered, place letters on backerboard. With hot glue, or crazy glue - promptly glue letters to backer board.
8. Glue feather boa to edge.
9. If hanging, drill 2 holes in the top and hang using some kind of nylon line. If you want the line to be invisible, use fishing line. Strong and see through.
Next are the Oh Baby PARTY FAVORS for the guests.
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
Lindt Chili Chocolate Bars
Printed custom graphic on paper
Ribbons in various colors and patterns
Baby feet stickers
1. I honestly can't remember how many chocolate bars to buy. It really depends on the number of guests. For each chocolate bar, break them down into smaller pieces. The picture should help you figure out the size.
2. The hardest part of this process, is the custom graphic. I suppose you would need some sort of graphic design experience. Using Adobe Illustrator, i downloaded an eps.file from http://www.vectorstock.com/. I'm sure there are other options to make this happen.